Holy Cross Byfield

Byfield was mentioned in Domesday Book when it was spelled Bifelde. Holy Cross Church, built in 1350 is thought to be the third church built on the site. It was built in the Decorated style and has had various changes in the succeeding centuries. The tower and spire ensure that the church can be seen not only within the village but also as one approaches Byfield, particularly when the spire is lit at night.

The tower houses eight bells and an enthusiastic band of ringers ring before most services. There is a fine Speechley organ installed in 1876 and paid for by public subscription and which had an electric blower installed in 1938.

There are many stained glass windows including some by Charles Kempe which can be identified by the small wheatsheaf at the bottom of the windows. There are church guides available to give more details about the building.

The congregation of the church have been very actively fund raising for the last 15 years and with the support of the village have paid to have new heating and lighting systems, new louvres in the tower,a toilet, servery and pew cushions installed.

A variety of services are held here, most Sundays. The first Sunday of the month is a Common Worship Holy Communion (11.00am), the second Sunday is Cafe Church (11.00am) and the fourth Sunday is BCP Holy Communion (8.30am). Byfield is part of the Fiveways Benefice and fourth and fifth Sundays are a time when we come together to worship, visiting each church in turn.

A warm welcome always greets you to our church. The church is open every day between 9am and dusk.


People at Holy Cross

Contact administrator at pamhicks@uwclub.net

Churchwardens: Chris Cross & Lyn Grennan

Safeguarding Officer : Lesley Palmer


   Holy Cross Church Calendar

   Holy Cross Church pictures